THE CHURCH OF THE ST PRINCE LAZAR, in Kos near Istok

The church with a belfry dedicated to Vidovdan and St Prince Lazar was erected in 1969 in the village of Kos, on the left bank of the river Kujavca, 12 km south-east of Istok. St Stephen’s Charter, granted by King Milutin in 1314, mentions the name of the village. The Devic katastichos from 1761 to 1780 refers to Kosani Serbs as benefactors.

Stone crosses and tombstones from the old cemetery were broken by Albanian extremists, the church door was smashed and the interior vandalized after the arrival of the Italian KFOR troops.